I’ve really been craving mac and cheese. But I’ve also been trying to take care of myself and stick to a dairy-free diet. So I decided to try my hand at vegan Mac and cheese. There are many ways to make it, but I decided to use nutritional yeast, and it was delicious!
Nutritional yeast not only makes a “cheesy” (yet lower fat) taste in this macaroni, but packed with vitamins and minerals, it has a lot of health benefits as well.
I based my mac off of Our Fresh Kitchen’s Recipe, though not adding any salt, turmeric or pepper, substituting for other seasonings instead.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Melt coconut oil over medium heat, mixing with the flour until it’s smooth.
- Mix in almond milk and keep stirring every few minutes until the sauce gets thicker.
- At this point, add nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard and spices, continuing to stir, until it gets to the consistency you like. And that’s all! Super simple but very tasty. Pour it over your favorite pasta for a great “cheesy” macaroni dish.
Let me know in the comments if you make this recipe, or if you have a favorite vegan Mac and cheese recipe you like to make!