Last night, stars filled the red carpet for the 2014 Grammy Awards. Some wore looks that left us singing them fashion praises, while others hit a bad note. The bold, the fun and the scary: these are the best and worst looks of the Grammys.
1. While I’m not her biggest fan, my best dressed award goes to Taylor Swift. I love the Gucci dress– it’s chic, classy and old Hollywood glam. It fits her perfectly– the belt accentuates her waist, and I love the modest sexiness of the lacy top. The almost white-gold shade is a tasteful– not tacky — color choice, that works well on T. Swift’s pale complexion. The simple, wavy pony keeps things simple, to reveal a pretty pair of earrings, and her boldly simple outfit follows suit, leaving the singer-songwriter looking gorgeous and tasteful on the red carpet.
2. Colbie Callait was red carpet ready in this Ezra Couture gown. The cut-out style was very popular on the Grammy red carpet, and she wore it best. This gown is just very pretty, I love the floral embellishment detailing, and the color is gorgeous on her. A top knot keeps the attention on her ensemble, red lipstick really stands out. The look was also well-accessorized.
3. Ciara looked elegant and gorgeous on the red carpet in this Emilio Pucci gold and champagne colored gown. Showing off her baby bump with this fitted gown, she glowed with simple make-up and soft waves. The dress is a work of art– with the detailing near the decolletage, and the golden pattern throughout the material. Overall, this mom-to-be looks chic, classy and beautiful.
4. The Badgley Mischka dress Kelly Osbourne wore to the Grammys had a hint of rock, and a touch of girliness– the perfect look for her. The fashion police squad member styled her signature purple-grey hair simply, to keep attention on the gown. The dress was chic– I love the sparkly detailing on the shoulders and the black cape, which added just the right amount of style to keep things interestingly simple.
5. Kathy Griffin’s blue snakeskin-print dress was pretty and interesting. The unique look stood out among the standard suits and gowns. The dress fit her well, and was pretty tasteful for her age (though the neckline could have been a bit less plunging). The color was perfect, and went nicely with her softly curled red hair. Gold shoes and a gold clutch completed the gorgeous look.
1. No. Just no. This Michael Costello gown makes it look like Skylar Grey tore apart the leather seats of her limo on the way to the awards and attempted to make a “dress.” The color is putrid and does absolutely nothing for her pretty complexion (it’s basically the color of her skin). The material looks like a car seat, and the cut out below the bust is just so random. Overall, not a good look for this starlet.
2. While this look is fine on Zendaya Coleman’s petite frame, the Emanuel Ungaro dress looks cheap and mismatched– not award-worthy. I don’t like the bandeau under a see-through top look– it should be reserved for summer time, at the beach or (occasionally) at an outdoor music festival. To me, this dress looks like it came out of the juniors’ department of some inexpensive clothing store– not like something designed by a high end designer. It is bold, but that is this look’s only saving grace.
3. Lorde likes to be different. And that’s exactly what she was in this Balenciaga black gown. Wearing her signature almost-black lipstick, she looks very goth. Which is fine, but the dress is drab and does nothing for her. She has a nice, curvy body, but it is made of a fabric that clings in all the wrong places. It’s too modest for a woman her age, and the black creepers peeking out the bottom of the gown are just awkward. Lorde may be talented, but her stylist sure isn’t.
4. We all know Beyonce has a bangin’ body, and she loves to show it off. But this Michael Costello dress leaves little to the imagination. Sure, it looks good on her, and she looks pretty. But this look puts it all out there, and is not very classy or tasteful. Based on his expression, Jay doesn’t really look like he’s that into her walking around like this either. Sorry B. Your music is empowering to women, but this dress is not.
5. What happened to the front of Sara Bareilles’ dress? This Blumarine look is weird; too feathered and definitely not the right color (what is with all these nude dresses on pale beauties? not a good look). I like the shoes, but I hate the style of the dress; she has nice legs, but it’s not very elegant. I also think she has the most gorgeous hair, but this style is severe and unflattering. I did like the pop of orange, but maybe it would’ve been better to swap the shade of the dress and the accessories.
(PHOTOS /Getty Images)