Another week, another award show, and more importantly, another red carpet of full of great and scary looks. Saturday night was the Screen Actor’s Guild Awards. While the hairstyles weren’t as severe as at the Golden Globes, there were some crazy looks out there as starlets tried to make a statement. These are the best and worst looks from Saturday’s SAG Awards.
1. Lupita Nyong’o’s turqoise Gucci gown is just beautiful. The floral-detailed neckline is so fun and springy, and the color pops against her skin tone perfectly. Not many people have the figure to pull off this look, but this gown looks like it was designed for her. And normally, I am against the “match your eye shadow to your outfit” look, but it just works for her. She kept the look simple, and stunning, with minimal accessories– keeping all eyes on her and this fabulous dress.
2. Sarita Choudry’s black lacy Nanette Lepore gown was elegant and beautiful. It brings out her dark eyes. Her look overall is very classy, a modern take on the “little black dress.” The curled, volumized hair is very gorgeous, and old Hollywood. Wearing a simple pair of gold earrings and a gold ring was also a good choice, because of the lacy detailing near the neckline (noticing a pattern here?). Sarita’s look was regal, classy and classic at the SAG Awards.
3. In her classic Dior, Jennifer Lawrence made up for her Golden Globes tied comforter ensemble with this stunning grey-ish purple sequined gown. It’s a simple look, which seemed to be a trend on the red carpet this year, accessorized with only a pair of earrings and a ring. Like Lupita Nyong’o, this gown fits perfectly to J. Law’s petite frame. The dress is Hollywood glam and gorgeous, and Jennifer pulled off this look very nicely.
4. Claire Danes ‘ Vionnet gown is very pretty and unique, with the metallic detailing– almost a work of art. I’m seeing a trend in black and beige gowns this year. It’s a classy trend. The black tulle blends the champagne material into the rest of the dress, for a classy, beautiful look. With such a detailed, ornate dress, Claire’s hair was perfect, worn slightly messy and down, to compliment her ensemble.
5. This sapphire colored Antonio Berardi gown and classy up-do makes Amy Adams look like an old Hollywood starlet. Everything about this look works perfectly– the diamond belt, hair, makeup and dress are all perfectly coordinated. This dress was also a great color for Amy, making her blue eyes really stand out, and brightening her complexion.
6. Mindy Kaling looked exotically beautiful in this David Meister navy hued gown. The look is simple, but very chic, and was accessorized perfectly with gold cuffs, drop earrings and a golden clutch, giving off a sort of Egyptian vibe. The belt of the dress accentuates Mindy’s waste, and her hair and makeup are simple- but very pretty.
7. This is what Hollywood looks like. Sofia Vergara glammed it up on the SAG red carpet in this sparkling champagne colored Donna Karan Atelier gown, that fit her like a glove and complimented her skin tone. The diamond and emerald necklace compliments the ensemble. Her wavy hair and neutral makeup perfectly offset the boldness of this beautiful look.
8. Katrina Bowden’s black and gold Badgley Mischka is another gorgeous Egyptian-inspired look. The gem-filled gold netting near her face complimented her tanned skin. The dress is made out of a pretty, sparkling black material. This look is simple and stylish, and Katrina pulled it off very well.
9. The material of this aqua-colored David Meister Signature gown is beautiful and a great cut. I like Shaun Robinson’s hair and chandelier earrings, and her cute clutch compliments the look as well.
10. Isla Fischer’s pale Bulgari gown is very old Hollywood. While she could have chosen a more vibrant color, she has the total package with her look– the style of the dress, look wavy hair and glittering accessories made her one of the best dressed on the SAG Red Carpet.
1. Not sure what Kerry Washington’s stylist was thinking. This Prada ensemble looks very confused. The crop top looks something that should be worn by a 90s’ teen at the mall– definitely not by a gorgeous starlet on a red carpet. And that skirt- Kerry has a gorgeous body, but it’s too tight at the waist, and too bohemian and poofy to go with this top. There’s not much else to say about this look, it’s just kind of scary. The earrings looked nice, I guess?
2. Everyone was raving about Rita Moreno’s look. The dress– not too bad, but resembles a table cloth. The jacket– not too bad, if you’re a biker or rocker. But the two together? Nope. Not happening. There is just way too much happening here. A different cardigan could have toned down the ensemble and made it more tolerable, but right now, this outfit is a bit frightening.
3. With this outfit, I’m not sure if Mayim Bialik is going to prom or a funeral. It just doesn’t work. I like the gothic feel, but it looks terrible over this lilac-colored dress, which does nothing for her complexion.
4. Emma Thompson’s vintage getup seems satirical (as does the expression on her face in this inopportune photo– poor Emma!). Not sure what she was going for here, maybe an Asian vibe? But the cut of the dress is strange, and her sandals look even weirder.
5. Mariah Carey looks like she should be standing on a street corner rather than the red carpet with this short, black dress worn with fishnet tights. And the black, leather fingerless gloves? Just why? The dress would have worked if it was longer and had a sleeve on both sides (it’s falling just a bit too low).
6. What’s with the length of Sarah Paulson’s dress? It’s just weird and unflattering, too short and too poofy– a contrast to her flat, unstyled hair. Her shoes are cute, but why show them like that? The top of the dress was pretty, but this look needed some serious work.
7. Table cloths must be really in this season. Betsy Brandt’s alice + olivia dress is just that- a linen look. While she did look pretty– her hair was perfectly curled and her makeup looked nice– but the dress did absolutely nothing for her.
8. Michelle Dockery’s dress-vest is weird. What is the deal with combining street-clothes with formal wear at this year’s award shows. The two-toned look is cool, but the vest sewn into the gown is just too strange.
9. Julia Bowen looked pretty, but the pattern and colors of her Carolina Herrera dress are weird. It’s abstract, and looks like it was laid out by a graphic designer, or a hypnotist.
10. Butterflies are pretty, but not how Edie Falco wore them. While she dressed somewhat modestly, this dress is frumpy and unflattering, and she over-accessorized, especially with that weird rosary-style necklace. She covered her decolletage, but showed a bare leg, in an attempt to her reveal her cute shoes. A tip for stylists– even if you want the focus to be on the footwear, make sure the rest of the look is also flattering, because no mater how cute they are, the shoes won’t be the first thing viewers and critics notice. Also, a pedicure is necessary with shoes like this.